Integrating the KU OPAC

I’ve been thinking for a while, on and off, about how I might integrate OPACs in general, and Kingston University OPAC in particular, into Kingston’s Second Life presence. I’ve also been looking at Scriblio (WPopac as was) for a long while now; and, were I to know I had the time to work on it, would be sorely tempted to work on a SL/Scriblio mashup.

In the meanwhile there’s a quick and dirty solution. Arguably the most neglected tab–invariably left blank in profiles–is ‘Web’. In an earlier post I wrote about RightPointInternet; and noted that it delivers WAP-ready web pages that can be displayed in the Web tab. Much of this is achieved through on-the-fly conversion by Phonifier which optimises web pages for mobile phones. Using Phonifier conversion, I inserted the KU OPAC successfully into my Web tab (below).

ku_opac.png

The result was far from perfect: some web pages can be converted, I found; others not. And, with my search on the main catalogue, I got the response: “The page that I found cannot be optimized for use on a mobile device”.

Enough to make me want to continue working on a solution, however.

Advertisements

About Christopher Hutchison

Museologist, cognitive dissident, political grouch, curmudgeonly bibliophage, and all round jolly nice chap.
This entry was posted in Books and libraries, SL mashups. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s